Forex Forum - Ask-an-Expert - GoForex
Click Here to Visit GoForex

ZuluTrade Email:

Go Back   Forex Forum - Ask-an-Expert - GoForex > Expert Forums > Beginners Forex Forum

Read the disclaimer

Old 2nd-March-2006, 23:16

Default How do brokerage houses rip you off (3 questions)

1) I have read that the brokerage house that you use to conduct your trades prey upon small investers. I've been trading a demo account for 3 months and plan on opening a standard account with $15k using 100:1 leverage. Anyways, I'm assuming they may be off 2 or 3 pips from the actual rate but can they actually create a spike of 10 pips to reach the stop loss of some of their clients? If they can only manipulate a few pips that don't seem too scary but I was wondering if they can do worse.

2) If I make money on a trade does that mean somebody else loses money? Or is it the case only when you are shorting?

3) Is there a website I can go to or a service I can pay for where I can obtain the true rate becuase the rate that the broker gives might be lagging?

Thank you for your help. Sorry I have so many questions but I'm trying to understand things clearer before i invest more money.

Thank you
Old 4th-March-2006, 22:33
Expert

Send a message via MSN to learn4x Send a message via Yahoo to learn4x

There is no true rate. Only in listed exchanges are the exact prices of an instrument unambiguous.

The key is to enter with a set up that givces you a high probability of
a trade. 20-25 PIPS will work well in these set up.
Old 6th-March-2006, 11:20
Expert

Default Re: How do brokerage houses rip you off (3 questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakofinsanity
1) I have read that the brokerage house that you use to conduct your trades prey upon small investers. I've been trading a demo account for 3 months and plan on opening a standard account with $15k using 100:1 leverage. Anyways, I'm assuming they may be off 2 or 3 pips from the actual rate but can they actually create a spike of 10 pips to reach the stop loss of some of their clients? If they can only manipulate a few pips that don't seem too scary but I was wondering if they can do worse.
You must make sure you do not stand out. Stay below the radar. Don't place close stops to highly leveraged trades. (Your idea to trade with 100K lots while only have $15K need some additional thought, I think).

Nothing stop them from spiking any price which will be a profit for them. Most properly regulated brokers will stay close to the EBS prices which are becoming some some of a "standard" in the online FX environment.

Quote:
2) If I make money on a trade does that mean somebody else loses money? Or is it the case only when you are shorting?
It means your broker have to pay you, best to think that they lose the money to you, thats also wht they will gain when you lose (and why you should be very careful to place high leveraged close stops). It is the type of trading that can cause all sorts of targetting of your account.

Quote:
3) Is there a website I can go to or a service I can pay for where I can obtain the true rate becuase the rate that the broker gives might be lagging?
Prices change 1000s of times epr day in the interbank, everyione quotes there own price as they see fit, no one can really lead or lag the market because no one has in sight in all the prices. Your whole trading apporach, considering that you do not have insight in this kind od information is not to be dependent of such things or open for abuse.
Old 17th-December-2014, 10:09

Looking at your questions, I think youíve been trading with a Market Maker Broker. And what you have witnessed is indeed what they do. They make money when you make losses. So they actually hunt you SLs i.e. they make sure that your SLs get triggered. So yeah when you make profits they lose money. Also, there were many order processing delays. This is actually done to make sure that you buy at a high price or sell at a low price.
Maybe what you should do is trade with an ECN Broker. They are exact opposites of market makers. They actually earn when you make profit. As their income is from brokerage, so when you make more money, they earn more. So they assist you in making higher profits. Iíve been trading with Finpro and I havenít faced any lagging issues. Plus Iíve made decent profits using their Social Trading feature where I followed successful strategies.
Old 8th-May-2015, 09:55

Forex is a zero sum game what means when you lose somebody earns and wise versa. Sometimes a broker can cheat you especially if the broker is a market maker and pay you the profit from it's own money.